Sunday, 2 February 2014

White Origami Cranes


To this day . . .

I am sure,  
a poem lay hidden 
that afternoon,

beneath the white . . .  
blooming stipple ceiling sky  
enveloped in sandlewood wafts.

I remember thinking, perhaps,  
I should begin to fold 
one thousand white origami cranes

but stopped,  
when you brought me scrambled eggs 
and mandarins . . .
And anyway . . . 

it felt then, that we would stay, forever,  
in those golden hours
sailing on billowing white sheets

far, far away from all earthly woe.  

And that, sickness and old age 
would never find the place, 
we had come to . . . together.


notes:  Honorable Mention:  T.O.P.S. Open Heart 9 Poetry Competition, 2015.

In Japanese legend, it is believed that if one folded 1000 origami cranes, one's wish would come true.

photos:  Day of the White Origami Cranes – W. Bourke 

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

12 comments:

  1. smiles....we can hope...love the crane ref, wanting to hold onto that moment when the world was perfect...and you knew you were in something special...hopefully that dream stays alive for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian, for your visit and good wishes. And welcome to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Romantic with a touch of wistfulness. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer. It seems to be the time of year for nasty weather, gothic novels, valentines - and Romantic poetry, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem lay hidden - and you found it. Such a lovely ending....ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Janet - That is perfect! I didn't look at it that way, myself. But - WOW! I do now. Thank you for picking up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so like the conversational tone of reminiscence you used here and as Janet has pointed out your wish came true.

    Yea for romance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea for romance, indeed. As I get older, I have watched a number of friends that we have known for decades, lose a partner. And that painful empathy (and, of course the knowledge that we are, all of us - mortal) causes one to treasure those romantic moments and the memories of them - all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love the appreciation for the breakfast made by someone special. I never knew that about the 1000 origami cranes, Maybe I should start folding some now?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only folding 1000 origami cranes - made it so, Robyn. But, as Brian said in his comment: we can hope.

      Delete
  10. This poem has a beautiful progression.....from the hidden poem to the wishing to make one thousand origami cranes to the powerful conclusion and the hope that sickness and old age would never appear in one's life. Sometimes, just sometimes, we CAN really imagine this to be true if we close our eyes and dream just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Mary, for your lovely comment. And welcome to my blog - you made my day!

    ReplyDelete