Thursday, 20 March 2014

Things in the Room

HEAD DOODLING BACK

He blew a kiss into the air.
Though I think it was unintended,
I know it's there

Suspended

His juice was half finished
When he left with his Mom
And the house became strangely calm . . .

STRANGELY calm

The GIGGLES went with him.
And also the BR-OOM BR-OOMS -
The WHAT'S THAT and the WHYS

And the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMS

Though he'd left his little car and

Jam finger prints on the kitchen wall.
Red heart-like dots . . .

LOVE YOU LOTS . . .
LOVE YOU LOTS . . . 

Alone - with things in the room -
My turn to "Wait and see"
For the place to be - you know -

Less . . . missing

 

photos:  Things in the Room:  Little Boy's Bedroom in The Roedde House Museum and Fingerprints - W. Bourke

© 2012 Wendy Bourke

9 comments:

  1. ah. it leaves the house so empty...their absence...my mom talks to me about this when my boys leave...and i know my day will come as well when i feel much the same...its fun to have time with them...so full of life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. When they leave, I find, it takes a couple of hours for the house to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your details here and, of course, your use of rhyme. Maybe you should try writing children's stories/poems sometime (something I've also thought of doing)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think about doing some children's stories and poems - but getting something published is very, very difficult and I don't know whether blogging children's literature would go anywhere. But thanks, Janet. It is a nice dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He will cherish the lines when he grows up....this is wonderfully written and so touches the heart Wendy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely comment, Sumana. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your close is like a painful wound: where to be less missing.

    The entire piece is emotive and I am left saddened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those kisses blown into the air....they linger, oh how they linger. And the house is so empty afterwards, isn't it? Hopefully it won't be long before he returns again to make more memories for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Unknowngnome and Mary. Goodbyes are hard . . . but, mercifully, the little guy is, generally, back before I know it! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete