Sunday, 2 March 2014

winter evening apologue


we trudged
in chaotic snow flakes
in scattered gleams of light.

I was sad
that he had
spoken my name
through clenched teeth

– for we almost never argued –

and to add insult-to-injury
I knew I was wrong . . .
and he was right;

though, it hardly mattered anymore.

his eyes, his blue eyes,
held a melancholy gloom

and I wondered:
if he was upset because we’d argued –
or because, it had just occurred to him:
he’d thrown in . . .
WITH A MAD WOMAN ! ! !

poor guy:  how disturbing that revelation must be –
and I’d hid it, so well . . . so very . . . diabolically.

his arm reached across my back
and, as he drew me to his side,
our shadow became one

in the wintry evening apologue,
under the murky, mystic sky,
we looked:
like a two-headed monster, and I . . . smiled.

he was, noticeably relieved.
and said:  I’m sorry;
and I replied:  I’m sorrier –
and lay my head
upon his shoulder,

as the monster disappeared.

notes:  An apologue is a brief fable or allegorical story meant to serve as a pleasant vehicle to convey a useful lesson without stating it explicitly.  The moral is more important than the narrative details.

Two-headed monsters are found throughout world myth and fiction.  They take many forms (human and animal) and have been used to symbolise many things – pleasure and pain, logic and emotion and an ideology that is divided.

photo:  Winter Evening Apologue - W. Bourke

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

17 comments:

  1. smiles. anyone in a passionate relationship will fight. we're scared of it cause we dont want to tip the balance. but it happens. what a relief too when we get to the other side of it...and love is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true - if you care - you will argue. And yes, if love is there, when you get to the other side . . . love is there, still. Thanks, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A slice of life I must say that definitely keeps the monster at bay...pleasanter moments follow when the gap is bridged...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always better after. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! The "MAD WOMAN" made me lol! And that ending made me smile, too. This poem illustrates so well that intimate relationship tango. "I'm sorry" can definitely go a long way. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving relationships are a bit of a tango, aren't they. I wondered about going there when I was writing this, but it seems to me the only couples I know who never argue at all, are barely speaking to each other. I think, in healthy relationships, it's normal to argue, at least occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and the two shall be one.....sigh! Lovely piece Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much. I always enjoy comments from The Unknowngnome. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely piece Wendy--

    I was sad
    that he had
    spoken my name
    through clenched teeth


    my favorite lies here--they are so expressive somehow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Audrey. I really paused over the line you quoted. But I thought: no - an argument is not without strong emotion (or it's not an argument) and those emotions inflict hurt. The fact that, in loving relationships, when people push through to the other side - love is still there, would not mean as much if they hadn't had to rise above their anger and upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - I just noticed - thank you so much for joining my blog, Audrey.

      Delete
  11. I didn't realize until now that you were a madwoman or half of a two-headed monster. You've hidden it well. Entertaining and poignant at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know . . . I hide it awfully well, don't you think? Smiles and thanks for your long standing support, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad I wandered down from the posted poem for Poetry Jam to this one. This poem pulled me in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice! A little tiff, made up can be a great motivator for closer feelings thereafter! Certainly no more monsters! Wonderful write Wendy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  15. No more monsters - well, at least for the time being. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete