Monday, 12 May 2014

That Fragrance

On a wistful impulse, I rambled
into the café mural side street
in pursuit of the laughter that rippled

– from the yellow mesmerizing glow –
and wafted, jolly and discordant,
in the gulf between our abstracted glances

as we ambled, alone and together:
in our separate solitudes . . . though you,
politely, poked along behind me . . .

as a heavenly aroma rose and fell,
in magical, familiar . . . yet beyond splendid
– notes – that drifted round the two of us.

That smell:  a fragrance from a thousand
miles away and years and years ago;
and as you drew so close,

I felt your breath upon my neck –
you chuckled . . . and, in one voice,
we murmured:  Paris.

Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles
and all the years you have lived. –
Helen Keller

 photo:  Yaletown Eatery – W. Bourke 

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

8 comments:

  1. nice...first food is transporting you and now the smell...smell is such a hug sense for me...it carries so much...i like the intimacy of that shared memory as well....i so want to visit paris at some point...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you will get there, one day, Brian - life, often finds a way. I waited over 50 years and had almost given up hope when my husband surprised me with airplane tickets at the completion of a project he had just finished. It was wonderful. Of course, life being what it is, he didn't find work in another systems consulting position for a year. Ugh! But, while we waited, we always had Paris. Smiles.

      Delete
  2. I love this Wendy. So intimate, so fun, so lovely. You create ambience so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the tender, lovely moments you create...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How a smell can take us back.. probably stronger than any other sense.. I recently read that humans in some ways are better than dogs smelling.. Dogs can smell lower concentrations.. but humans can differentiate between smells of different types much better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. smell can take us back. when my husband leaves in the morning, I often lie down on his pillow for a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a gift: a wonderful thing (in this often, tough old world) to love someone so much - you miss them as soon as they go away . . . I know this, too.

      Delete
  6. Love the sweet fragrance of your poem!

    ReplyDelete