Sunday, 31 August 2014

port moody downpour

HEAD DOODLING BACK


the rain
interrupted everybody's day
- in the park staring at the inlet -
we had come to see.

he had come with me,
to sit in the parking lot
- as it turned out -
huddled inside the beating drum car
perched behind a waterfall
in exhilarated air,

as the rain came down in torrents:
buckets of water hurling
in wild, tempestuous, abandon towards us . . .
the two of us.

until, at last, the drumming slowed,
at the end of the dreamlike water show,
to pitter-patter heartbeats.

cocooned, together,
sunlight creating surreal prisms
on the car window –
he turned to me.

he cleared his throat,
and said:

we're never getting out of this parking lot, ya know.

note:  What can I say:  Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

photo:  Rainy Day Leaves - W. Bourke

© 2012 Wendy Bourke

7 comments:

  1. ha. so ominous...never getting out...i chuckled a bit at it as i would say something like that to my wife...smiles...hey i read the note too...smiles...it poured here mid-day...brief...a hot summer rain...made it humid as heck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. that end, opens up a lot of new possibilities -- both ominous or lack of proper understanding.. hmm yes indeed miscommunication.. glad you came out of the parkinglot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you both enjoyed the drumming and pitter-patter cocooned together...read the note too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this really sounds torrential! I think it might be nice to be cocooned with one who is loved during a rainstorm! Thus I hope the ending is a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Hilariously perfect. Did I read this one previously on the old blog? I definitely think this should be published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. You may have read a version of it. Many of the "old" light poems from my previous blogs, have been rejigged before I repost them. Funny poems can, I think, be deceptively hard to get "just right" - timing, as they say, is everything. And often, if funny ideas are allowed to "percolate" for a bit, they hit the mark that much better.. In this case, I felt I had rushed to the final line, in my first go at it. And so, in the rejig, I spent more time building up the romantic ambiance - at least for HER! Smiles

      Delete
  6. Loved this ending! I am always floored by how wonderful your work is Wendy!

    ReplyDelete