Wednesday, 24 September 2014

there wasn’t a cloud in the sky


the river tousled in warm zephyr breezes 
and summoned forth pleasant thoughts: 
little snatches of things to be happy about, 
in the quietude of nature

from time to time, someone sauntered by, 
or jogged, or pushed a stroller,
or stopped, for awhile, to join me in reflection

and it struck me, 
in a way that it never had before:

that every passerby was living
a life as vivid and precious as my own –
full of joys and disappointments, 
ambitions, mundane tasks and routines; 
pleasures and pains . . .

and in that lovely benevolence 
I noticed, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky

it seemed a good omen 
 
for all I knew . . . 
it could have been the dawning 
of the Age of Aquarius



notes:  The prompt from Poetry Jam this week is "Clouds".

The Age of Aquarius begins when the March equinox point moves out of the constellation Pisces and into the constellation Aquarius.  There’s no definitive answer as to when that will be.

Astrologers do not agree on when the Aquarian age will start, or even if it has already started.  In popular culture, the Age of Aquarius refers to the advent of the New Age movement in the sixties and seventies, though, I could find no astrological information that this collates with any of the plethora of theories that exist.

Some astrologers believe that many of the world's crises can be attributable to the waning days of the Age of Pisces meeting the incoming Aquarius.  Some astrologers believe that each astrological age is divided into three decans and in the third decan of the Age of Aquarius (whenever that is) the true fellowship of mankind will be experienced in the world.  And some astrologers believe in a "wave" theory (similar to tides) and that the Age of Aquarius will not arrive on a given date but is instead emerging over many, many years.

There seems to be consensus, however, that the Age of Aquarius is (or will be) a period of great advances – and these advances have positive and negative consequences (particularly in the growth of technology and humankind’s response to it). Thus, we should all strive to be more in tune with the world – more introspective and enlightened, less consumer driven and more self-reliant and compassionate.

photos:  The Esplanade at the New Westminster Quay (along the banks of the Fraser River) – W. Bourke 

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

21 comments:

  1. I have had those moments of awareness - I guess a "leaving of self" - to notice that other people I've never met are actually having wonderful lives all around me and even across the continent..or world! People I've never seen, met, spoken to, are even having an impact on my life in ways I can't yet fathom. Incredible, isn't it, to know there are people you will never know, but they are alive and having lives in spite of not knowing you! Your poem spoke so well, to that! "Age of Aquarius"....had to start that humming in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the thoughts you expressed in this poem, Wendy. I think kind of subconsciously we realize that everyone is leading a life as vivid as our own, but it takes something like your poem to really take in that idea....as it isn't something we always go around thinking about. Interesting to think of the Age of Aquarius. I remember that song from the old musical "Hair." Thanks for sharing your information. Now you have me wondering. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone in the world would have these moments of awareness? I truly think much of the aggression and violence would stop ... immediately. Great write, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your poem, Wendy. These moments help us realize life is not just about us. I like the idea that when you had this moment of awareness the sky was without a cloud. It seems a good sign to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A crystallisation of a perfect moment of pure insight, so well captured, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful and perfect moment of recognition...a new age is hailed dispelling doubts and fears...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these moments when we leave ourselves.. and see our own joys as something bigger then indeed.. that's when the sky seem cloudless.. wonderful thought.. and thank you for the intro to the age of Aquarius

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so nice to see a warm sky welcoming without any clouds:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is heavenly to see clear blue skies. But when there is a reason for it, it makes it all the more intriguing.Great thoughts and thanks for sharing Wendy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha. i have a song stuck in my head now, just saying....smiles....
    perhaps that is a good omen....there is wisdom in realizing that we are all
    so connected and walking similar pathes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is amazing the complexity of lives that touch ours and the way we touch others. Even the briefest smile can have everlasting effects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That aha moment you captured in those third and fourth stanzas really touched on something for me. I remember having a few similar moments and they really do part the clouds and bring on a certain clarity. You make the experience so crystal clear as if we were sitting there, really noticing, together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so true Wendy....we all are trying to survive...trying to thrive. This is beautiful and perfect for the prompt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sensitive writer. Lovely - and what a surprise ending that made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we open our eyes to that kind of awareness, good things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great insight as the world does not revolve around us only our own. I like your expressions here and the way you present your observations of life around you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found your words joyful and deep...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed reading these words. A moment of realisation about the world is always worth writing about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those moments of realization - they are gifts! :) back at ya, ND.

      Delete
  19. I like this description of your musing and moment of realization each life is vivid and real to the person living it. It is easy to forget that sometimes. I thought I had read this and commented before but apparently not!

    ReplyDelete