Wednesday, 8 October 2014

If I were to live my life again


If I were to live my life again
                                          I think I would get comfortable
                                                                                         in it – much sooner –
                                                               the second time
    for, it seems to me,
                            that we, novice human beings,
                                                                           try too hard,
                                                                                            the first go round
                                    in a frantic

                                                              hurdle
                                                and dash         
                                                                         down the
                                                                                   life span raceway
                                                                                                 towards more:
                                more fun, more money more . . . just  more


        I would be a lot easier on myself in my second life and relax 
                     in earth whispers
                                   and the rise and fall 
                                                    of breaths and murmur of heart beats

    I would embrace the buoyant vulnerability of
                                                                      luxuriating 
                      in simple, unfilled moments

          I would accept that life is a mystery
                                          – as wild and deceptive as a silver sea:  
                                                                                       serene and ferocious

      and I would be inclined, when the spirit moved me, to just let myself be

                                   fathomless  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  in the mystic  .  .  .  .  .  .
      

“If there is poetry in my book about the sea, it is not because I deliberately put it there, but because no one could write truthfully about the sea and leave out the poetry.” 
– Rachel Carson

note:  The prompt from Poetry Jam this week is “If I were . . . “

photo:  Hawaiian Sea – H. Bourke

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

18 comments:

  1. Your poem triggered a lot of thoughts, Wendy. I do think it would be good to become comfortable with ourselves earlier in life. I think in a second go around I would look around more at the beauty along the way, see my strengths and not wish myself different in any way. I would wish to be comfortable in my own skin, as I am now, much much earlier. I like the idea of letting yourself be. That is a key to self acceptance and happiness, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, Wendy! I wish I had been easier on myself and a lesser critic of myself earlier too. But maybe we need the early mistakes to truly appreciate what we have and take the time to accept life's mysteries. You have written a great poem here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe we would come to that realization a bit earlier...and enjoy life a bit more...it seems like it takes us quite long to figure that out...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree... It takes too long to get to the right place but I don't think that can be avoided. Societal expectations of whom and what we should be has a firm grip on all of us !

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's most important to get comfortable in where ever we are...the sooner it is the better... I love this thought of having another life after this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that hectic part of the life when you want to do everything is diminished by the frantic way we try to fill everything with content.. Maybe sitting there at the end just achieving what we did and life is still empty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the life after life, our wishes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hindsight is perfect after all the trials and challenges, hey ~ I too would be adventurous and let things be if I am given the chance to live again ~ Too much worry over things we can't control really ~ Life is mysterious as a silver sea ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good plan to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. With age and experience, comes wisdom along with some regrets ... the beauty of hindsight is that we can use experience to alter the rest of the road ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true Wendy...I think we all could agree to this one. If we could live our life over...we would do a lot of things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me that opening stanza is perfect. Just golden, on the mark. Me too.

    A wonderful reflection, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv the "earth whispers" area of your poem best
    Thanks for stopping over at my blog

    Much love ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful and wonder with the drama of possibilities played out in your poem. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I think I would get comfortable in it" - I love that. I hope I would get comfortable in it too! Much wisdom in your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  17. second chance is always good to do things in better way..loved your poem wendy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, indeed, Wendy. You have expressed my thoughts on this perfectly. To be able to relive one's life, but having the insight, experience and knowledge afforded to one by the first time round...

    ReplyDelete