Monday, 13 October 2014

There’s words . . . and then, there’s words

Felt like penning something on the lighter side today



The message that he left for me . . . 
is hard to comprehend
– the secret tale
the missive held
for this is what he penned:

"Wen U wer awA BL
UR condo sprun a LEk 
Der WOZ Alt OF ugh fluding
U no go bak B4
nEX wEk

I DK all da deets but Whoa
der woz DamAg 2 UR bed
Da hEt wil no com on
& Dang UR Golfish Sam 
is ded"

I don't know what to make of it . . . 
I'm frankly, in a dither
for, clearly, one can plainly see
the man was all
a-twitter

“The pen is the tongue of the mind” 
from The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha
by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra,  Volume 2 Chapter 16, 1615

note:  Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140 character messages called "tweets".  The service was launched in 2006 and by 2012 more than 100 million users posted 340 million tweets per day.  Twitter language or twitterspeak is a method of communication where a special subset of abbreviations (such as using BL for "Bad Luck" or "Bottom Line") are incorporated, and continue to evolve, in order to compress big statements into 140 characters (or less) – spaces and punctuation counting as characters.
   
photo:  Candlestick Phone – W. Bourke

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

8 comments:

  1. Your poem made me smile, Wendy. Ha, I tried Twitter for about two weeks and could not make head nor tail of it. I think I would join with that person who didn't know what to make of it! I deleted my account and am not unhappy. I don't need to be a-twitter about twitter. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant and hilarious. Pretty cool photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary and Jennifer. I came upon the phone in a local museum and decided to try and give it a film noir vibe in Picasa. This sparked the idea of juxtaposing it against a modern communication device. This little poem took a lot of revisiting (the little ones, often do) to try and get the twitterspeak into some kind of rhyming cadence. But I do find immersing myself in the wordsmithing that goes into "light" pieces is such fun and, creatively, really satisfying.

      Delete
  3. the ways of communication have changed over the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha..a modern diction...nicely captured Wendy :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha... yes sometimes a talkative person becomes incomprehensible in 140 characters..

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha. it is a completely different language at times...and some of my kids can read it no problem...i can decipher a bit...hope the bed is not too messed up...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. ttly hilAreus! TU 4 a gud lol! :-D

    ReplyDelete