Saturday, 26 March 2016

Black Thumb

HEAD DOODLING BACK

Flower, flower hear my plea:
do not turn brown,
for all to see ...
do not dry up,
and fade away ...
do not die young:
please stay, stay, stay.

Little plant set to become
a portent of
the gardener's thumb:
is it black?
or is it green?
the gardener a hack,
or of heart serene?

The cultivator full of grace?
the annihilator
coarse and base ...
the essence of
the grower struck,
in this horticultural
game-of-luck.

I knew a man who couldn't float
a girl who couldn't
hit one note ...
maybe we are
meant to stumble
at some small thing
to keep us humble.

I will put you in the sun,
and say "good night",
when day is done ...
each leaf and petal
I'll adore
I'll water you, then
I'll water you more.

How does a farmer grow a crop?
I tend a shoot
and flop, flop, flop ...
but I will give
all I can give ...
please, little flower:
live, live, live.

note:  A light verse posted for this Easter weekend.
  
It is that time of year when flowers are given to family and friends, as gestures of affection, to mark the start of the Spring season and Easter ... and, once again, I am reminded of the notorious bad luck I have, with hothouse flowers - so much so that some of my dearly beloveds have taken to referring to me as:  Black Thumb (under their breathe).  I don't know what they do to flowering plants to get them a-blooming all-at-once every Easter weekend - but it can't be good.  Surely I'm not the only one who (as one of the dearly beloveds, recently teased) can take out a potted plant faster than a plague of locusts.  E-e-e-e-ch! 

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

photo:  Potted Plant - W. Bourke 

© 2011 Wendy Bourke

6 comments:

  1. meant to stumble
    at some small thing –
    to keep us humble

    Wise thoughts and good observation Wendy! Yes, one is not meant to be all perfect!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are those of us who stumble again and again--there is a beautiful sense of the connection to our more humble selves here--lovely write Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! This made me smile! And I can so relate. Hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled all the way through - I especially love "to keep us humble".............Wendy, so sorry to hear about your back spasms. Hope they ease up soon....please email me at wildwoman2@shaw.ca - I upgraded my hard drive and lost your email address...........thanks, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to plea, too, that my little flowers, live, live, live.
    Very enjoyable, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this plea... such a wonderful use of repetition... Sometimes I think it's luck that make the flower not turn brown... or maybe just too much water.

    ReplyDelete