Friday, 1 April 2016

winter ends and spring begins: a sonnet



in the woods, I stop in twilight dim … 
as spring throws off the evening’s hoarfrost coat
midst groaning fir and shivering bare limb
I hear the spirit whisperings that float
on ragged winter-worn breathes sighing through
the ancient dark depths in capacious folds
of days-end mystic green to primal blue  …
the frozen still white world has lost its hold –
it melts in water trickles and the stir
of scurried swish and fauna-crack-on-twig
and chirr, and caw and warble and sweet chirp –
ruffles through the sand, dry grass and sprig:

as life, in time, is given and is taken
the dead earth – once again – begins to waken

To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven
(Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8)

note:  Posted for Poets United.  (I've been dealing with a horrible back muscle spasm for the last few days, and wrote this, as much as possible, lying down ... by head - and not hand (ha!) so, hopefully, it works.)

photo:  Twilight in Early Spring - W. Bourke

© 2016 Wendy Bourke 

23 comments:

  1. To me your poem represents the birth of spring...when life again begins to waken after a long winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wonder of rebirth and renewal--beautiful to awaken that way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel terrible for you! I hope you are up and around and feeling much better soon!

    On another note, this is a lovely sonnet, Wendy, hitting all the right notes of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your beautiful words I feel like taking a walk by a forest stream again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beauty in Nature and in your words Wendy!Love this celebration of Renewal....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sounds in this wonderful poem - like the snap of bones, heart and thought unthawing - magical and beautiful and especially love the biblical passage resting underneath like the spark that helped the poem come to life

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely breathtaking..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always lost in admiration of poems that are one sentence (even when not short poems)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing, to write such a beautiful poem with back spasms! I love, especially, all of the sounds in this poem. One of my favourites of yours, and a stellar write. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a delightful image...I love the way the personification works so powerfully to bring the image to life here: "as spring throws off the evening’s hoarfrost coat."

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely poetic description of spring and life....this is truly stunning Wendy...and I love the photo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these sections:

    "as spring throws off the evening’s hoarfrost coat
    midst groaning fir and shivering bare limb"

    "sighing through
    the ancient dark depths in capacious folds"

    "it melts in water trickles and the stir
    of scurried swish"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poem is beautiful and I can feel an awakening of the season. So sorry you are not feeling well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree a favorite right to the ending lines which are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't remember the last time I've read a sonnet, & yours is like a treat so well written to celebrate the coming of Spring. This is, I think, my first time here at your page. Thank you for the wonderful read & nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well this in an amazing sonnet . . . fresh! not a trace of trite or over worn dialog . . . beautifully expressive within the predictability of the form . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it.. Especially those sounds that is such a clear indicator of things awakening... the mornings especially I hear those birds a-rustling in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What delicious, beautiful details in this poem!
    I know about back pain, too, and I hope you feel better ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful ode to spring's arrival...I hope that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete