Friday, 20 May 2016

summer winds


the forest path weaves through whiffling trees 
of interlacing foliage … a rippling arabesque that parts, 
theatrically, to summer moments fragrant in verdant breezes

the visceral familiarity of decades of that forever young scent,
waft round me, whenever I stand at the portal 
to those ancient, far off … blooming places

buttercup petals on birdsong float by me 
in sweet dapples of sunshine seen from monkey bars, 
and whizzing bikes and picnic blankets and wooden swings

as echoes of transistor radio doo wop and giggles, fade
in wading pool splashes and the laughter of little children 
who, now and then, call out the word “mommie”, expectantly

long gone – but for, the portal:  redolant in the scent of green 
that sighs before me:  I close my eyes and I am back-in-time … 
carried there on gentle summer winds


photos:  Summer Moments - W. Bourke

© 2016 Wendy Bourke 

19 comments:

  1. Ah, those summer winds really can transport a person back to those long ago days....I do remember transistor radios...once so new, now something many who live today have never heard of! They have gone the way of the wooden swings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the trip back - thanks!
    Especially like "transistor radio doo wop and giggles."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post actually took me back to some places in the past as well...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful wafting back on gentle summer breezes.....you took me back too to those days we thought would never end, my friend.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, thank goodness for those portals that allow us to slip in and out of time. This line really reached out to me - beautiful.

    buttercup petals on birdsong float by me

    ReplyDelete
  6. No reader can fail to be transported back in time by your evocative words. I traveled a long way back to the 1940's! What a beautiful poem this is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so nostalgic and meditative...the radio did a magic here..how the radio days are gone taking a part of ourselves...so beautifully done Wendy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully, heart-achingly nostalgic... "summer moments fragrant in verdant breezes" just one of many lovely images

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love this... I was myself out and met spring during the weekend, and it's a true time-machine. It could be the picnics, or the sedation of the whiffling winds...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautifully soft walk down memory lane.. with that whiffling wind...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful imagery - the whiffling trees and hanging from the monkey bars (wasn't the world always more exciting upside down!) - how magical to still be able to access that portal to happiness

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh...what a portal our memory affords us! Sigh...this makes me want to breathe deep the scent of beautiful memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the wonderful "trip"
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice feeling this poem provokes. I could close my eyes and feel the images dancing in my mind. Lovely writing Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the visceral familiarity of decades of that forever young scent,
    waft round me..

    Beautiful!! Such a wonderful write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for this wonderful trip back in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. This is really good. I love this: "a rippling arabesque that parts."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully lyrical Wendy - richly evoked...

    ReplyDelete