Saturday, 11 June 2016

poetry in motion



after rush hour subsides and most of the 
working traffic has been tucked in for the night,
the yawning spaces between vehicles 
makes everything, that moves, seem
much more important – the simple 
tap, tap, tapping of your own footsteps
bestows a, sort of, validation that is lost 
in the frenzied go-get-‘em shank of the day

and thus, it is a favorite time of mine, to saunter 
into the streets, casting about for left-over 
poetry snippets with which I might concoct 
a tantalizing late night treat … if I’m lucky

so it was, that I found myself, a solitary bee, 
freed from the brood combs of the hive, 
alternatively, occupied with drifting cloud shapes, 
and mesmerizing patches of sunny flora that 
my ever-changing shadow bobbed and bounced upon – 
a somewhat tricky, up-and-down fandango that 
I abruptly realized, probably, conferred an impression 
of insobriety on my hodgepodge ramble:
my moving lips, struggling with a linchpin phrase,
likely, adding befuddled fuel to my curious aspect

at which point, my title came to me, and I loudly laughed;
chuckling titters, tumbling amongst wildwater words: 

POETRY IN MOTION THE BIZARRE PRACTICE OF CHASING INSPIRATION 

note:  Is it just me, I wonder?  Sometimes, while out walking, the genesis of a poem comes to me and I - working it through - occasionally come to realize ~ TOO LATE ~ I must look like a very strange character, to passersby.  A little embarrassing, but I've always maintained that kids and dogs, keep us humble - and I think, the creative process - by virture of putting ourselves "out there" has that effect, as well. Which is probably, a very good thing for this world. 

photo:  Poetry in Motion (a picture of the face of my wall clock and a picture of clouds that I took, blended together and turned into a cube - all done in the Lunapic photo program) - W. Bourke 

© 2016 Wendy Bourke  

20 comments:

  1. I do love the way you hunt that inspiration in the intensity of traffic, in that intensely spaces moving. I think this is the spaces where many of us breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it was both a delight to read and imagine you as a bee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem Wendy.. I do that too, suddenly find myself lost in my thoughts and saying words aloud while walking alone! Wildwater words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this. Yes, I do sometimes get inspiration out walking, but few other people walk these streets at the same time as me, so there's little embarrassment. I love the idea of casting about for left-over poetry snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh this is absolutely delightful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. an absolutely delightful treat, well concocted :) love this process...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No - not just you.. the world offers up so much poetry but only poetry bees gather it up like nectar and deposit it in honeycombs of verse - with a chuckle and smile that other honeybees can relate to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I really liked the photo you chose! And then...you created a poem in which I can really get into this walk. Lots of details - the tap of footsteps, the solitary bee, the bobbing shadows! Really enjoyed this, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Mary that photo is eye-catching. My theory on time is that time is now. I often take walks at night there is a sense of silence from the hectic day. I think I can hear my thoughts and I am able to be inspired by nature. Then there are times I like to sit quiet outside and gaze at the heavens and let inspiration flood me in the light of night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not just you. I think must of us, who walk around with honey for the muse, end up looking a tad strange to those who don't aim to feed her in the same way. The best time to catch a poem is when life is happening, I think. And only the luckiest of crafters know that it is a gift to stop and catch that title, even if we look a bit weird to the rest of the world.

    I really love this poem. I feel it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really is so nicely done, and I love that you associate the poetic act with a type of craziness, or how others might view one out in search of inspiration. All great poetry needs a bit of madness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the humor, the title and, especially, the titters "tumbling amongst Wildwater words."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also agree...it is not just you...I will walk about and inspiration may come to me and I am laughing but no one can see what I see...my neighbors think me daft but who cares! Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting poem. I like how you captured yourself, the poet amidst the overall structure. I liked the line, the yawning spaces between vehicles.

    I enjoyed reading your note, and relate to it well. The image of time and clouds is interesting.

    Hope you're having a pleasant Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful practice to write poem! I did recording in winter time while walking outside, the frost and urgency, cold helped to create....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! I love "casting about for left-over
    poetry snippets with which I might concoct
    a tantalizing late night treat … " ...and the image of you in your seeming "insobriety" ha! I can relate--I have often found myself mouthing or even speaking a thought or poem out loud when I'm driving or walking about and catch myself and laugh. At least I can consider myself in good company! Great title you came to, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful take and wonderful connections on inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cube and your poem are both pieces of art crafted with sheer genius

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  19. casting about for left-over
    poetry snippets with which I might concoct
    a tantalizing late night treat … if I’m lucky

    Chasing for inspiration is often a frustrating assertion. Inspiration should appear to come naturally that makes it rare and elusive!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  20. a solitary bee, freed from the brood combs of the hive: I love that!

    yes, after rush hour is a good time for dreaming, noticing, formulating words!

    we fellow wanderers who write poetry are a funny lot, aren't we? we never know when/where we'll find the inspiration, that title.

    ReplyDelete