Friday, 4 November 2016

The Rise of Grimm Stuff

 
I heard the news today –  ye gods – Grimm Stuff is on the rise. 
We’re off to hell-in-a-handbag with hate and ignorance and lies.
  
Blue fish are climbing trees; looks like I’ll have to eat my hat. 
We’re close to:  twelfth of never, and I think I smell a rat.

I saw a fool go rushing in where angels fear to tread.
Speak-of-the-devil … P L E A S E ... there’s plenty to be said.

The pigs are growing wings – good grief – and learning how to fly.  
 Well, you never miss the water, ‘til the constant well runs dry.

it’s Grimm Stuff topsy-turvy time:  sun’s rising in the west.    
Word is hell’s freezing over, saint’s above – who would have guessed.

~ ~ ~
These are grim days, for people of conscience who are concerned about what lies ahead.  Events are unfolding - all over the world - that few of us ever imagined happening ... things we believed would NEVER happen.  The reasons and possible solutions, fill books - but the sense of shock and disbelief is profound, and I suspect, universal.  I can't believe how many times, over the last year, I have started sentences with the words:  "I can't believe" ... more and more, as each day passes.   This got me thinking about all the idioms there are for "never":  when pigs grow wings, when pigs fly, when fish climb trees, when the sun rises in the west, it'll happen on the 12th of never, it'll happen when hell freezes over, etc.  That - along with the old expression - you don't know what you've got 'til its gone, sent me down this strange poetic road.  Though, given our strange reality ... perhaps, sadly, not-all-that-strange.
 
note:  The Brothers Grimm (Jacob and Wilhelm) were German academics and authors who collected folklore during the 19th century.  They published over 200 stories which were immensely popular around the world.  During the 1930s and 1940s, the tales were used as propaganda by the Third Reich.  Later in the 20th century the cruelty and violence of the original tales was eventually sanitized.

photo:  Grimm Stuff (the chair the kids bought Mike for Father's Day perched on our balcony ... it seemed like this post could use a "sweet" thought.  smiles) – W. Bourke
  
© 2016 Wendy Bourke 

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www...love your Blue fish line....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!
    but maybe pigs flying is not necessarily a bad thing , is it? :P maybe we just need to alter our meaning of reality to move along with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are indeed "Grimm" in the world, and I hope they will not be getting 'grimmer' as the week goes on. And the rat certainly does have a foul smell. Indeed who would have guessed it possible that things would go so topsy turvy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sense the unease in your poem.. and constant level of apprehension.. sigh may God have mercy upon us all and ensure peace and happiness.. Amen.


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a grimm world indeed but you've come out with a super poem! Clever writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world is much better than we are lead to believe... that's what's the most Grimm. I think shooting ourselves is most appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't about time that a time machine can be perfected so we can go back and correct our mistakes? Common sense doesn't seem to be too common these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a powerful and astute comment - your chair and room reminded me however that what counts is our world - whatever is having outside

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah - you nailed it! It is all so vexing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grimm indeed, things happening we've never seen before. Where is it all going? Feeling helpless in a crazy world trying to maintain sanity in our inner world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I especially like this line: "Blue fish are climbing trees, looks like I’ll have to eat my hat."

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like the play of the word "Grimm", and the rest of the excellent word play. actually the brothers Grimm wrote some pretty depressing stuff.
    this line is most apt for today :" Well, you never miss the water, ‘til the constant well runs dry.", what with the runaway consumerism now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admired the cleverness of this poem, Wendy, you managed to make me smile in spite of all the flying fish. And your peaceful spot on your patio looks like a wonderful vantage point from which to watch this astonishing world roll by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is something very Apocalyptic about this, an End of Days type of feel. I enjoyed this, at the same time that I found it truly scary and terrifying, like a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  16. for me I like the contrast of seriousness written in a humouress fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For me, this was both clever and true--I wish it were otherwise as I watch the news and wonder at what humans have wrought

    ReplyDelete
  18. "The pigs are growing wings – good grief – and learning how to fly. "

    Having only recently reread George Orwell's Animal Farm this line stood out for me.

    Well Tuesday will bring us back to some semblance of sanity. Best Wishes

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant, Wendy!

    Yes, bizarre and grim, grim stuff in this world...

    ReplyDelete