Thursday, 15 December 2016

buttercup yellow


on a whim:  I had treated myself to
the purchase of a fat buttercup yellow candle,
that smells more citrus than floral,
as it turns out – and yet –
whenever I light it, in early evening glow,
it reminds of a wonderful ramble we’d taken
… not so many short years ago

we had tromped, for some time,
in the direction of a far off horizon
that we didn’t have a hope of reaching
– in the last, full-gleam of the afternoon idyll –

and had come to a pleasant pair
of commodious flat-topped boulders –
set, side-by-side and ringed
with golden buttercups:
a peaceful place to sit and rest a bit
and admire the panoramic rolling hills
that unrolled before our wandering eyes
as we, wordlessly, picked a perch
and began to unpack the hastily-gathered snack,
we had brought with us 

kalamata olives and lemon jelly beans, yum  
he remarked, arching a quizzical eyebrow
that vanished a dozen or more years  
and buttercups blooming at our tired, old feet,
he concluded, cheerfully 

all this, I added, opening my arms wide

sweet breezes were turning chilly – fast –
and flapped at the saran enfolded repast
so tenaciously that nibbling gave way
to running after and retrieving the silver sails
launching into the pacific yonder …
signalling, that we were coming
to the end of a lovely day –
as I began to feel that vague angst
that, falls  on  me, from time-to-time,
at a certain hour, as I anticipate twilight:

it is as if, there is something that I want to say …
something important – though the words never come –
as … once again …. they did not come, that day …

instead, I placed a single buttercup
in a buttonhole on his shirt
and looking into the beautiful face of
the one I had journeyed with for half a century,
I whispered:  all this 
photos:  Buttercup Yellow - W. Bourke

© 2016 Wendy Bourke

24 comments:

  1. A wonderfully composed reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so so beautiful, Wendy...


    I hope you have a most wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. instead, I placed a single buttercup
    in a buttonhole on his shirt
    and looking into the beautiful face of
    the one I had journeyed with for half a century,

    So moving Wendy! The feelings for a loved one can never be fully gauged but can be fully appreciated!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful, Wendy. So deeply meaningful. The end of your poem moved me greatly. Indeed....all this...all this. We have to remember and hold dear to us all this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. So lovely. I live vicariously through your words and that buttercup in his buttonhole. Wondrous, the journeying for half a century together. Now that is romance!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how you started with the scented candle to the memory of buttercup yellow scent of lemon and the taste of olives. And then that shadow of worry, the twilight, that you brighten by that flower in the buttonhole, that to me ties back to the candle. Wonderful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading your poem before bed. And I'm grateful, for I have the biggest of smiles on my face--nothing but sweet dreams to come, I know it.

    So much love, Wendy. Thank you for the glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is sweet, beautiful and romantic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could get lost in that fat buttercup yellow candle forever - and the last line - simply :-) wishing you a peaceful holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  10. How well you illustrate the beautiful feeling of loving in this poem Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Half a century, wow! This is a romantic testimonial, and can't help but smile all throughout. The ending in particular melts my heart.

    Happy Holidays, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, that ending!!!

    I also love the stanzas about coming to a pleasant pair and olives/jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You carried me all the way with you, Wendy and towards such a beautiful and strong close - Great! With Best Wishes Scott

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful composed journey filled with images that stir the senses. I could visualize a field of buttercups and eating "kalamata olives and lemon jelly beans, yum – "

    and that final touch of the single buttercup a sign of love..


    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful memory and so beautifully captured in your words. I enjoyed this so much. Thanks Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As well you should, and as well as he.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely piece of writing here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I reiterate Sherry's sentiments. Now that's romance.

    Happy Holidays

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh so lovely... the buttercup..flower and candle and the memories and the love.. all that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh! "All of this," indeed! Such a crystalizing of years in a short phrase and act--and after the beautiful imagery of trying to capture each little bit:
    "sweet breezes were turning chilly – fast –
    and flapped at the saran enfolded repast
    so tenaciously that nibbling gave way
    to running after and retrieving the silver sails
    launching into the pacific yonder … " Love.

    ReplyDelete