Wednesday, 7 December 2016

how does it end?


some say 
we’re half-way to heaven … or hell … 
care to hazard a guess? 

I’ve lost myself in space time, lately, staring
into the black abyss beyond the forever-and-ever night sky – 
attempting to look the moon in the eye

bet you didn’t see this one comin’ – did ya, lunar guy?

praying to remember:  those all-you-need-is-love 
front step dreams – we all outgrew – or forgot – 
or maybe .. we just didn’t try, or care, or expect, a heck of a lot …

and now:  when nothing ... is ... what it seems
and we’re hanging ourselves with our own “hate” rope … 

it’s gonna take a sea of truth and hope 
to wash the sorrowing stains away …

say, buddy, can you spare a dime, and buy 
yourself some peace of mind … 
we’re all gonna need it, it would seem

these post-truth hours torture rest: 
can we do ... a do-over humanity test?

we’re in for one gawd forsaken ride – hang on – 
heading pell-mell betwixt and between 
tricky-tricks and cruel extreme 

cover my eyesI don’t want to look …
I never did finish that nietzsche book


notes [from Wikipedia - with comment]:  Post-truth politics is a political culture in which debate is framed largely by appeals to emotion disconnected from the details of policy, and by the repeated assertion of talking points to which factual rebuttals are ignored. 

(I never could wrap my head around the term "nihilism" when I came upon it, almost 50 years ago in a political science course.  It didn't make any sense to me.  But threads of that theory remained, I guess, and recently I googled "trump and nihilism" and up popped over 2 dozen newspaper columns on "trump and nihilism" and I was "Oh-h-h - I guess this is what my poli-sci prof. was talking about, almost a half century ago."

New Yorker journalist Susan Orlean wrote:  Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know. )

Nietzsche and Nihilism:  Nihilism is a philosophical doctrine regarding the lack of belief in one or more reputedly meaningful aspects of life.  The term is sometimes used in association with anomie (a condition in which society provides little moral guidance to individuals) to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence that one may develop, upon realizing there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws.  Nihilism is often associated with the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who provided a detailed diagnosis of nihilism as a widespread phenomenon of Western culture. When we find out that the world does not possess the objective value or meaning that we want it to have or have long since believed it to have, we find ourselves in a crisis.

photo:  Big Book - W. Bourke

© 2016 Wendy Bourke
Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/susanorlea494688.htmlK
Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/susanorlea494688.html
Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/susanorlea494688.htmlK
Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/susanorlea494688.html
Knowledge is a beautiful thing, but there are a few things I wish I didn't know.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/susanorlea494688.htmphoto:  Big Book – W. Bourke © 2016 Wendy Bourke

17 comments:

  1. We are gong to need a sea of hope! Loved this Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this and the repeated "next time"
    Well expressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it will take a sea of truth indeed...in this world of nothing is what it seems. The hate rope is a little too long for my liking. I am not sure that I like this ride either, but there doesn't seem to be a way to leave the 'train.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. attempting to look the moon in the eye... loved this rumination Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sorrowing stains stood out for me..perhaps even asking the questions shows those porch step dreams weren't passed up at all.. understanding philosophical ideas seems to take time and thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we’re in for one gawd forsaken ride – hang on –
    heading pell-mell betwixt and between
    tricky-tricks and cruel extreme

    Very true and very thoughtful Wendy! Much seems to be still unsettled despite the election's over!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of "attempting to look the moon in the eye" ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. say, buddy, can you spare a dime, and buy
    yourself some peace of mind …
    we’re all gonna need it, it would seem

    Can we buy peace of mind or are we running out of precious time? Let us hope for a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great write, Wendy. I love the voice in the poem, that harks back to those true believers days. I keep hoping the electoral college will reject him. Guess that depends on how many Republicans are on it. My very soul grows weary at what is ahead if they swear him in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "praying to remember: those all-you-need-is-love
    front step dreams – we all outgrew – or forgot –
    or maybe .. we just didn’t try, or care, or expect, a heck of a lot …"
    Tears.
    Wow!
    Yes and again yes--in a land of post truth--let us hold on to each other and our truthsayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written Wendy, luckily you are on the right side of the border and can look in in amazement. In Australia if you are registered to vote it is compulsory to so, then there is no doubt that the majority support the result.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a clever writer, Wendy. You can write about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are in for a ride that is for sure - it is the unknowing that is the most frightening...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the way the language, tone and structure reinforce the agitation of thought you describe. (I don't like the fact that you seem to have good reason for the agitation.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am holding tight for the tough ride ahead Wendy ~ I only hope we can all survive and become wiser by it ~ Wishing you a good week ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so much my own concerns... on the other hand we might be in our own bubble... I wonder what disasters we have to witness before enlightenment becomes fashionable again.

    ReplyDelete