Friday, 24 March 2017

End of Snow Magic



 

This has been the snowiest winter that I can recall in all my years on BC’s Lower Mainland.  As much as it has been somewhat inconvenient, there is no denying that it has been beautiful.  I have such incredible memories of snow and my childhood winters, back in Ontario.  In the dead of winter – snowsuit weather – the days were already growing dark, by the time school was let out at four o'clock.  I would walk home with friends, in the deepening twilight, and when I got to my house I would throw myself backwards into the snow and make a snow angel.  Then, I would lie there, looking up at that magnificent northern Ontario winter sky.  To this day, I have never seen a sky that comes close.  It is almost impossible to describe:  the deepest blue – almost neon blue – viewed through sparkle snow dust and vapors from my breath … adorned with lovely wisps of cirrus clouds that gave way to a luminous moon and twinkling stars.  Looking up into that sky … is one of the most epically beautiful, visual experiences of my life.  I was no more than ten – a child.  Perhaps that is the enchantment that gifted those precious moments.


~ down to earth:  too soon … and too late wise ~

it’s been long years, since i have lain in snow …
but, i recall the spell of sapphire skies 
– cradled in white peace and wonder-full –
arms swished to angel wings, with which i’d fly, 
in mists of frosted wind and breathy sigh

it’s been long years, since i have lain in snow … 
though ‘once upon’  i travelled astral trails 
– in magic glittered gusts bathed in moon glow – 
passed twinkling stars and soft cloud wisps of sails, 
to pillow feather lands of fairy tales

it’s been long years, since i have lain in snow … 
agog and awed … enchanted by those skies 
–  but worlds must spin and children grow – and so
there came the day, I shut my ‘childeyes’ – 
~ down to earth:  too soon … and too late wise ~

“So come with me, where dreams are born
and time is never planned.  Just think of happy things,
and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!”
― J. M. Barrie, Peter Pan, play 1904; novel 1911.


note:  A little English Quintrain –  to issue out the last of this season’s beautiful snowy days

photo:  Sun Peaks. British Columbia – H. Bourke
  
© 2017 Wendy Bourke

24 comments:

  1. Truly magical write.I have tried to keep my eyes of wonder open, and yet... Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, unlike you, we did not have a very snowy winter here. But oh yes, I remember those snowy winters of my childhood too. Lying in snow, making snow angels, making snow forts, throwing snowballs, etc. I feel the sadness in your poem, Wendy. Indeed those worlds do spin and indeed the children grow and we put aside our 'child eyes' and lose our sense of enchantment with what was once part of our childhood delight. It is good to read your poem, Wendy....to reflect, look back, and take the 'scales' off my 'child eyes' through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wendy, you took me there, to your childhood, lying on your back in the snow, and to later years of remembering. I think you still see with those childeyes full of wonder, my friend. If you didnt, you couldnt write a poem this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow sounds wonderful..we're having hot 36 C days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this gift of a glimpse of the 'Never Never Land' of childhood...our childhood days are fragrant with Nor'wester April days when burning earth breathed a sigh of relief amidst storm, hails and rain....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope many of us can look back to a childhood which was this magical. Loved the line 'pillow feather lands of fairy tales'. Well I loved them all in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. but worlds must spin and children grow – and so
    there came the day, I shut my ‘childeyes’ –
    ~ down to earth: too soon … and too late wise ~
    “So come with me, where dreams are born

    There will come a point where one decides with maturity

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. You recalled 'the spell of sapphire skies' with such clarity and beauty that it feels magical yet so tangible. Wonderfully written, Wendy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you make me long for snow!!❤️ This is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful poem that reminds me of my life in the Rockies. Those blue skies are impossible to describe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. I love the way it describes a childhood frosted with enchantment. I can feel the longing for the days when everything seemed new and dusted with wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You brought back happy memories of snowy winters and snow angels, games of Fox and Goose, and skating on the ice at the corner of the school house. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The magic of childhood deeds is beautiful indeed, when we recall it.
    Perhaps it's not too late to lie on the snow. :-)
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poem and the introductory note have done to me exactly what I think poetry (an art in general) should do for the soul: they have let me feel your emotions through my own experiences. The amount of snow brings to you wonderful memories of the enjoying snow can offer. I find myself remembering days, in the Dominican Republic, when the temperature was so hot that they would let us off school early. The heat was stifling, but we were all laughter... walking in groups to the river, jumping in and staying there for hours, since the sun didn't set until almost 8pm.

    Now I'm grinning, my mind dancing with your snow angels and my river splashes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did not have a lot of snow here... actually it's been the driest winter in ages... I hope to get north for some bonus winter for my skies...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous. The memories you evoke and your writing style are a treasure here. One of my new favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment, Jennifer. As my very first follower, you have been reading my poems longer than anyone, and so I find your comment particularly meaningful and touching.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful magical moments. Thank you for taking me there.

    Happy you dropped in at my Sunday Standard today

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and magical I can feel those days and touch that sapphire sky...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! And all that you remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You almost persuade me that snow would be something to be enjoyed! (I'm not keen on the cold and try to avoid it, but...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My inner child still likes to play, I made a snow angel this winter. My neighbors probably thought I was crazy, but as the snowflakes touched my face, I remembered the magic of snowy days.

    I really enjoyed this poem. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have only a small handful of memories of snow. I enjoyed reading about your recollections here. How well you use rhyme, and how well it works here. I especially like your "childeyes" [one word] and "astral trails."

    ReplyDelete