Wednesday, 1 March 2017

three little words



it seems to me now that all our lives, we held
a fragile flower between us … 
our days on this earth –  intertwined – 
and yet, never so close,  as to disturb 
the fragile flower

                                                  the last time we were together … you … 
                                                  stood in watercolor blue,
                                                  pausing atop the front steps, 
                                                  as you were leaving …

                                                  you turned your head back towards me
                                                  and the flower fell, as you said:  I love you


I knew ... the moment you let go of the flower 
that you did not expect to see me again ... 
you would have been embarrassed 
to see me again ... for it was not our way 
to say those three little words

                                                 the last time we were together … you … 
                                                 stood in watercolor blue,
                                                 pausing atop the front steps, 
                                                 as you were leaving …
 
                                                you turned your head and spoke to me
                                                as the flower fell, and I replied I love you

three little words:  I love you


Today on the Oldies Radio Channel:  "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" gifted me with a memory of 'Our Sweet Sue' ... February 9th, 1964:  the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.  I read that over 50 years later, many people still remember exactly where they were and who they were with.  Sue and I were 12 and, after that, we couldn't get out of childhood, fast enough.  Smiles.
   
sketch/graphic:  The Fragile Flower – W. Bourke


© 2017 Wendy Bourke 

20 comments:

  1. A real heart-toucher, Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the flower imagery and those 3 little words, that holds a mighty power ~ Lovely share Wendy ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really feel this... how you are afraid of those three little words. How difficult they are to say, for fear of something breaking (like that little flower)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very moving poem, Wendy! I am glad you shared the backstory as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gem, Wendy. A beautiful rendering of a sweet time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. our days on this earth – intertwined –
    and yet, never so close, as to disturb
    the fragile flower
    ..that is just beautiful...love the way you've described the distance and closeness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderfully emotive write, Wendy❤️ I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You stood in watercolor blue..." - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Wendy, the falling of that flower feels like the beginning and ending of worlds. There is a power in that imagery, made stronger by what we learn just before the flower falls... and the feeling holes the heart deeper and the three little words are said and repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the story told her. The repeated stanza works so well to highlight the vividness of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I feel the truth of that flower and the breeze in its place when it is dropped. Oh! I have tears in my eyes for which I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautifully written. Fragile flower. So descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems so sad to wait to say the words only when he was sure he'd never have to say them again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very touching, Wendy. One of my favorite parts is "fragile flower between us."

    And I love that illustration: how talented you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sadness of love being there but not commitment...but hope lingered on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A sweet sentimental write. Thanks for sharing Wendy. Happy you dropped by my Sunday Standard this week

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete