Thursday, 20 April 2017

butterfly upon a ripple

HEAD DOODLING BACK (with rejigs)

I stopped atop the little bridge.
a breathy breeze arose: 
whiffle winds upon the pond – 
cat's paw ripples ripped in rows.

it evanescedto stillness
as a butterfly flew by … 
alighting on the water's blue, 
beneath the azure sky.

ripple after ripple
undulating circle spin – 
fascinating, mesmerizing,
drawing me, drawing me in.

a wisp of magic floats to earth
when spells entwine with riddles: 
the scent of green and sunshine glints 
and butterflies on ripples ... ... ... 

  
The ripple effect is a term used to describe a situation where - like ripples on water when an object is dropped into it - an effect from an initial action can be followed outwards. 

The butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions - a small change initially resulting in large differences later.  The name of the effect, coined by Edward Lorenz, is derived from the theoretical example of a hurricane's formation being contingent on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks before.  Although esoteric, the butterfly effect can be seen in simple examples everywhere.   In literature, the butterfly effect is used in presenting scenarios involving "what if" cases where one storyline diverges at the moment of a seemingly minor event resulting in a very different outcome.

notes: 
graphics by W. Bourke

© 2012 Wendy Bourke

22 comments:

  1. First there is your wonderful poem. Then there is your fresh new poem after the explanation. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a magical poem, Wendy! It indeed mesmerized me and drew me in! And then there is the wonderful explanation beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word-play and the happy mood. And I also enjoyed the fascinating explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. evanesced – to stillness –
    as a butterfly flew by … ...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful head doodle.. your poem has a wonderful flow - I particularly like whiffle winds

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness this is good!! *swoooon* ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy I got really dizzy with your spinning effect...marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful.....the poem, it's rhyme and metre, the cat's paw ripples and the image of the butterfly on the ripples. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv the alliterations they lend so much to the story and images projected. Particularly Luv Verse 2 for its mirror effect

    Had a nice Sunday

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading about the butterfly effect. Thanks for the opportunity to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a feast of alliteration and fluid shapes. I'm delighting in the ripples, mesmerizing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a joy to read. Love the rhythm and rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Intelligent and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful Wendy. I love the title, the rhyme, the images, everything. It felt like a little soothing treat. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very hypnotic Wendy. The words put me in a trance - and I mean it in a good way. The subtle rhymes seem like a chant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a wisp of magic floats to earth
    when spells entwine with riddles:
    the scent of green and sunshine glints
    and butterflies on ripples ... ... ...

    Interestingly the butterfly effect takes shape unwittingly to be horribly acknowledged later!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in chaos theory (so I've read) – perhaps, yes. But the corollary of the Butterfly Effect is that: tiny (unforeseen) changes make big differences. And my understanding is that the term is/has evolved to encompass and express the totality of small change/big difference outcomes in situations where there is virtually no predictability. In popular culture, at any rate – I have seen it used to express good, as well as horrible consequences. Though, I am no physicist, so I probably should not proceed any further down this path. Smiles.

      Delete
  17. Enjoyed reading this very much! Everything about this is beautiful, mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry that I haven't been around for a while. Having a hard time organizing my life - going in different directions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am intrigued by the idea and find it fascinating that from small ripples, other events follow ~ Enjoyed this one Wendy ~ Have a good week ~

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is a very sweet sort of whimsy in this, especially with the way you've played with the alliteration.

    ReplyDelete