Thursday, 4 May 2017

head in the clouds


From time to time, I sit, and stare into clouds.  Sometimes those clouds are a reflection of my mood.  Sometimes they are the antithesis of what is going on with me.  But regardless of the kind of clouds I happen upon – when I look up – they are a heavenly sight to settle my focus on … and give a bit of thought to:  how I’m doing.
 
Clouds make for a good, productive rumination – or so it seems to me.  They are white and pure, but not so extraordinary or magnificent that self-analysis gives way to spellbound transcendence or an irrepressible temptation to capture the moment in lines of poetry.   They usually put in some sort of an appearance – at least for a time – on almost any given day.  They change shape, they float, they scurry, they turn gray, they are swept away, they disappear, and then … other clouds come along to take their place.  Clouds are the ever-changing backdrop that much of our lives, unfold upon-and-under.  I have often thought:  there is a wispy analogy somewhere in those clouds ... or maybe just a bit of clarity, or snippet of wisdom.

I have watched many people dilute the totality of the splendid endeavors of their life in gloomy, insensitive, cranky closing scenes acted out before their broken-hearted dearly beloveds.  People age:  there is no denying.  But I suspect that when people stop asking themselves what they are thinking; and why … what they are saying; and why ... and how they are acting; and why ... they age less well – a lot less well.  Clouds give me pause to reflect on that. 

these dark skies brighten  –
all the clouds I have pondered
inspirit me, still

With my head in the clouds, I am reminded that until the curtain falls:  I have a role in how 'my part' is played ... and remembered ... by those I leave the stage to.


photo/graphic: clouds in a half full glass – W. Bourke

© 2017 Wendy Bourke

21 comments:

  1. GREAT ending. Go for it. You are right. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder so much if it's just a moment of watching and reflect that does it, or if it's just that clouds are a vehicle to get that time. I do not really know, but I think that I have not gazed enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rumination and sage advice..clouds I have pondered..beautiful line that gives pause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having your head in the clouds can be the best thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well when I go I hope the clouds cloud over my misdemeanours and people will think well of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thinking is not clouded, however!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes having our head in the clouds can do wonders ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such reflection and wisdom in wanting to play our parts well at this time of life. I am a sky watcher, too, Wendy. There is a Sky-Show going on every Minute! It amazes me how many people miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often reflect on shifting clouds. They come and offer the earth a drink when thirsty and other days they float by shifting into various forms. I am often told my head is in a cloud, for me that isn't such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I gather we are all clouds seeking our source. Those above us seem to be reaching their goal. :) Thanks for making me think.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy this is a beautiful reflection. I am grateful to read it. It came at such an opportune time, I feel as if you wrote this just for me. I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myrna. That is very gratifying. I thought of your words several times today (I even read them to my husband) and now - as I'm heading off to sleep, it occurred to me (albeit rather belatedly ~ smiles ~): I should thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  12. I love your last lines especially. True, our legacy is the thoughts we leave in the memory of those whose lives we've touched along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful reflection. I love to watch the sky as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cloud watching makes me go to another world. Loved the haiku and the commentaries you made, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I relate to plants and dirt in a way similar to how I feel you relate to clouds. I watch clouds, too, and the moon... But there is something about leaves, about the thought of roots stretching in soil... that helps my mind wander warmly in my own skull, thinking about the world and me and others, wondering about the whats and whys and hows of it all.

    Your haiku, especially the last line, is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clouds with their endless shapes, and constant change, so beautiful to behold, and contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stare and ponder on clouds too ~ They always remind me that everything changes ~

    Enjoyed your reflections Wendy ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a role in how 'my part' is played ...
    and remembered ... by those I leave the stage to.

    It's mesmerizing! One is lost looking up unto the sky! Though others remember us in many different ways!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mesmerizing and - for me, I find it to be - very soothing to the soul.

      Delete
  19. Your ponderings are put so eloquently. I love those billowy white clouds encompassed in an Easter egg blue sky...sigh...

    Neat photo, too!

    ReplyDelete