Thursday, 18 May 2017

the prickly bugaboo's – a rubaiyat

(click on image to enlarge)

bird chirps in the waking shushed 
break of dawn’s soft kindled blush … 
I think: I hear the pulse of rain, 
or is it heartbeats in the hush

the prickly bugaboos still keep 
their dozy doze beyond the deep – 
beyond the shores of slumber where 
air somersaults in breaths of sleep

I think: I’ll wend down winding trail
wreathed in bough and leafy veil 
and lift my face to forest sky 
spellbound in aves soar and sail

the prickly bugaboos will stay 
far from this light-as-feathers day 
they do not come where I find peace,
well, rested high above the fray

note:  bugaboo (Merriam-Webster)  1. an imaginary object of fear. 2. something that causes fear or distress out of proportion to its importance. 

TankArt Piece – W. Bourke
  
© 2017 Wendy Bourke

20 comments:

  1. Yes. The whole world will be so lovely that the bugaboos will rest somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lyrical..love this especially:
    I think: I hear the pulse of rain,
    or is it heartbeats in the hush

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical jaunt this is - made me feel young once again and all set for adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is gorgeous, Wendy. I love it. And LOVE your beautiful art piece which accompanies the poem to perfection. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! This is so gorgeous.

    These are my favorite lines:

    "break of dawn’s soft kindled blush"
    "air somersaults in breaths of sleep"
    "wreathed in bough and leafy veil"

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least, the speaker has found a way to keep her enemies at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely line: "air somersaults in breaths of sleep"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first stanza is especially mesmerizing, Wendy!❤️ Delightful write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, and I think I see a theme today of dreams and being awake and what's between... Love the rhythm of the piece, a flawless Rubyat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're keeping the prickly bugaboos at bay. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for bringing me in your magical world...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the feeling of peace this poem imparts, Wendy! Nice to read your words once again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all know those prickly bugaboos that stay away form peaceful skies and flying wings. This is such a lovely poem Wendy. It's a little fairy tale full of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the fear of bugaboos in the woods until I realised that I was one too being part of the human race. There is nothing quite like recovering ones spirits as a walk in the woods and breathe in nature at work. Beautifully written Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!!! Not the bugaboo's in my sleep though. Nice...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fairytale feel to this one. (Smile.)

    ReplyDelete

  17. "I think: I’ll wend down winding trail
    wreathed in bough and leafy veil
    and lift my face to forest sky
    spellbound in aves soar and sail"

    My favourite lines
    Wow, Luv this lil tale . Thanks for dropping by my Sunday Standard this week

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely piece! magical lines.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rhyme goes so well with the theme. I almost feel like I should whisper the poem, in order not to awaken... things creeping unseen.

    ReplyDelete