Thursday, 13 July 2017

between the busy spaces


The final poem that I am dusting off and resurrecting from deep within my blog vault is, I think, my favorite and, once again, comes out of an experience that I had.  Mike and I had gone on one of our epic marathon walks (alas, becoming shorter and shorter with the passing years) and had arrived at that state of blissful exhaustion that one comes to after a long and strenuous physical effort.   Our rambles had brought us to a lovely little park in downtown Vancouver.  It was the time of day when rush hour traffic settles quickly – almost abruptly – from what it was a half hour earlier.  And as we stepped out of the city and into the green, a quietude fell upon us that was profound … mystical.  I sat down on a park bench as Mike slowly strolled by the flower beds, taking in the flora.  And then it happened … 

                                                       
I was a tourist 
in the twilight 
when the quiet fell 
transcendent as a prayer
  
and, I thought, 
I should like to live there 
for a bit 
and sit staring
  
down into pansy faces 
poking comical, buoyant nods
from behind the closing evening curtain
  
or rest my head back 
and look up at the spirit clouds 
drifting in ghostly light ethereal 
white streaks and scurries
 
across the abiding, deepening blue –  
deeper, deeper – dusk 
to darkest night time sky
  
and just
let the astonishment fall 
like a ragged breathy sigh: 

like a mystery 
that unfolds
  
between the busy spaces 

note: published in EnCompass V (Beret Days Press) ISBN 978-1-926495-20-0, 2015. 

photos:  Sanctuary – W. Bourke (these photos were taken in a little sanctuary – tucked away off of Hornby, next to the Bill Reid Gallery featuring contemporary Aboriginal art of the Northwest Coast.  In the top photo, the oxidized copper roof of the Hotel Vancouver can be seen through the grid of a sunroof overhang.) 

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

26 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and the opening stanza brought a wondrous sense of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great description on how the idea of the poem came about. It certainly is a delightful read. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh too let go. (wait a minute. didn't we just do that in this poem? - clever indeed)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I like the way you were able to capture and appreciate such a wonderful moment! Such peace and bliss to have had times like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is my favourite, too, Wendy. SO beautiful. I love the descriptions transcendent as a prayer, the pansy faces, the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,

    What a thoughtful poem that sets the ambience for my yearning to be back to my other home. Yes, I'm from Vancouver and yet, while not there at present as I experience the magic of England, I shall soon return.

    Thank you for this and nice photo of the Hotel Vancouver.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that's lovely..wonderment at nature and being falling into the empty waiting spaces..what a marvellous thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to find such a place... I love to walk as well, and have recently become a tourist at home... sometimes you feel the same thing in a new place, but even better if you find it close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful capture of the unfolding of wonderment, mystery and beauty of nature filling the heart. Such precious moments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "like a mystry unfolds"....... so apt within your poem, thoroughly enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some cities are good this way as the daytime rush and scurry are replaced by a tranquil period and a strange beauty overtakes them especially those with intriguing green spaces. Great poem Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great space to revisit - I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paradise beyond or through the grate -- that's a gift of sight. Thanks for sharing the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurrah for the mystery that unfolds between the busy spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is one of my favourite poems of yours too - you have descended into that moment so perfectly:
    "and just
    let the astonishment fall
    like a ragged breathy sigh: "

    I shall always think of these lines when I meditate

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a rare place to find ourselves....in such a peaceful serenity amongst the urban setting and busyness of life....I too think is definitely a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! That is exactly what it's like. I live for these moments::These moments make me live.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really good. I especially like these sections:

    "and, I thought,
    I should like to live there
    for a bit
    and sit staring

    down into pansy faces
    poking comical, buoyant nods
    from behind the closing"

    "and just
    let the astonishment fall
    like a ragged breathy sigh"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the ending...This is a beautiful capture of that fleeting moments...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This gives me a BIG A h h h … So very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one is also among my favorites. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful capture of the unfolding of wonderment, mystery and beauty of nature filling the heart. Such precious moments!

    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete