Friday, 21 July 2017

summer turns to winter

This is my last ‘on holiday’ repost of a previously posted piece.  As I mentioned earlier, in this instalment, I am revealing my most popular poem.  Posted to my blog in September of 2014, it has slowly – but steadily – gathered 15,176 hits (as of today) from all over the world.  Its nearest competitor comes in at a measly 234 hits, by comparison, so I’m quite blown away by the life-of-its-own this little poem has taken on.  I have no idea, to whom I should express my appreciation, for this bounty.  Clearly, someone, did something to gift this piece with ‘wings’.  Whoever you are:  Thank you.

By way of a brief history:  Every-other-year, our family rents a cabin for a week.  There are ten of us now … kids, partners and grandchildren (and of course, a dog) and it is an enormous undertaking, accommodating a myriad of schedules, budgets, special diets and wish-lists for a gang this large.  Hence, we only take it on, every-other-year.  In July of 2014 we rented a large cabin at a private lake near Whistler, BC.  One afternoon, while we were there, my daughter took my 5 year old grandson (her nephew) for a walk and they returned with a bouquet of wild flowers that he had picked.  There is something enchanting about a wee nosegay picked by a child, that tugs at the heart – and so, I told him that I wanted to capture the moment for all time by taking a picture of his little present.  That gave me the idea that – although a picture can freeze a moment in time – time, itself, cannot be frozen and hence the inspiration behind: “summer turns to winter”.

It has been a real treat to watch the progress of this poem and, from time to time, I update my grandson on the continuing journey of his gift to me.  We both take a lot of pleasure in that.  So, once again, whoever put this lovely gesture in motion:  Thank you so much!


after what was sown 
had been reaped

hot bustling days, 
good-naturedly, 
began to fade away

and in the season’s amber 
late evening shade 
and crisp, tattered 
harvest breezes

the grinning pumpkin moon
signalled the coming 
cold winter nights:

when the last vestiges
of bountiful summer 
would be peacefully 
laid to rest

wrapped in white linen

photos:  summer turns to winter – W. Bourke

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

25 comments:

  1. Very clever! (the last line) Summers have always been my gifts. Them and me, and my wife, the kids, and all the rest have been kissed goodnight. This poem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is a poem that can be read on different levels. I think many of us now are in the 'reaping' stages of our lives. We hope that what we have sown will reap positive things before all is laid peacefully to rest. I have much enjoyed your series of reposts, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a gorgeous poem, Wendy. I am not surprised it has had so many hits. And what a precious bouquet your grandson gave you. So sweet. This was a lovely post to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous memory.... I think the poem represents life itself..no wonder it has been so popular!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like this poem, Wendy;
    when the last vestiges
    of bountiful summer
    would be peacefully
    laid to rest

    wrapped in white linen........... such a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's a gorgeous poem – and I love the back story about your grandson's gift. Three cheers for the popularity! How wonderful that it is so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning imagery and great back story - a moving post

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the grinning pumpkin moon
    signalled the coming
    cold winter nights:".....The image is so full of contentment and sighs. You write so beautifully Wendy. Enjoyed your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous imagery in this one!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this is a great poem Wendy. It is not only beautifully written it has those typical images of the seasons of old to remind us of how good life can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are gorgeous images presented in this poem

    Happy Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see the white sheet being pulled up as the final act in death, even though I wanted to see grinning pumpkin moon as a happy turning of seasons. I'm so colored by aging and the threat of destruction to truth and liberal democracies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poem is a breath of fresh air, so beautifully written. I see the white sheet as the oncoming snow that follows the "pumpkin moon". Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many pictures conveyed...
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  15. The poem is lovely, blooming with natural truths. And as if has happened these last few weeks, with your summer shares, I have, again fallen in love with the tale behind the poetry. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This feels fresh and wonderful and truthful Wendy --no wonder it has gotten so many hits--beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story and love the poem....no wonder it has so many hits....just beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the transition from summer to winter is quite an experience. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "good-naturedly" and "peacefully"
    we must treasure these gifts of normalcy and care ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. A precious moment captured. Last year we went to Whistler and I fell in love with the place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this too. Will that same magic moment come again? All the words familiar, assembled into magic! Thank you for reposting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like how you've strolled though the seasons in this poem. And I love that close.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree that this is gorgeous! Also relatable and thought-provoking.

    Love the flower bouquet too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a gorgeous poem, Wendy. I am not surprised it has had so many hits. And what a precious bouquet your grandson gave you. So sweet. This was a lovely post to read.

    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete