Wednesday 10 December 2014

end of the trail


when, at last, I came 
to that circle of quietude
that hung like a blue orb
above the ancient tree tops,

my breathing labored,
in the shush of cedar boughs
and primordial peace . . .

I rested, then, in the fragrant forest:

the moments, so tender,
words of description stuck
like lumps in my throat . . . though,

after such a trek, I felt weightless,
as if all my burdens had
dissolved in the mist . . .

so lighthearted, that I soared
far from where my body stood –
swept away by Mother of the Wind . . .

and, in that transcendence,
it occurred to me:
this was the way
to come to the end of the trail. 

notes:  the prompt from Poetry Jam this week is "Quiet".

The word "Squamish" means "Mother of the Wind", as named by the Coast Salish inhabitants.

photo:  Blue Orb (resting spot on the Sea to Sky Hiking Trail, Squamish BC) – M.S. Bourke

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

19 comments:

  1. You have described the journey of life in a very powerful manner, Wendy! I too hope that eventually I come 'to that circle of quietude'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i would not mind to find the end of that trail...well maybe not the metaphor...not yet at least...but when the time comes, i hope to be ready

    ReplyDelete
  3. to merge in nature.................a blissful thing to do

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the circle of quietude - woodland and forest always give that feeling of peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much layers in this peace.. and I really really liked the last line.. it worked to take the whole piece to a whole new dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. after such a trek, I felt weightless,
    as if all my burdens had
    dissolved in the mist . .

    A lot of truth in this. One gets the benefits after some physical shedding off. So often it comes almost immediately. Wonderful write Wendy!

    Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I love the way you have described the weightlessness. Just perfect. Yes, this is the way to come to the end of the trail...and the quietness is palpable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely for both a hike and a life. I so enjoyed reading your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it is "the way to come to the end of the trail". Loved that close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy,

    I felt a recall of a forest setting in Northern Ireland, where we spent most weekends with our children, when they were young. A place where we all found that sense of peace. Mother of the wind,' passed through there as well...I found peace in reading your poem Wendy..

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that primordial forest and fragrance of trees and mother of wind ~ Lovely close as well ~

    Good to read you again ~ As to your comment in my blog, I don't belong to any Canadian poetry club here ~ perhaps one day ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh..."the fragrant forest" "swept away by the Mother of the Wind"...sounds like a rapturous experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful! Your first two stanzas captured me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite part:
    I soared far from where my body stood

    That is a good way to come to the end of the trail, not that I'm ready, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so lighthearted, that I soared
    far from where my body stood –
    swept away by Mother of the Wind . . .I LOVE THAT

    ReplyDelete
  16. …to soar like that toward heaven… sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life has so much to compare to nature & well knitted poem :)

    ReplyDelete