Friday 21 June 2013

green cardigan sweater

the old cardigan sweater 
had fallen to the floor

strangely arranged
in a histrionic tizzy of a heap – 
a green woolly diva in meltdown –

not at all itself
(which was reliable and comforting and there)

and though I was having a bad day
(hence, my perspective I suppose) 
I picked it up and snuggled    
blanketing myself 
in the familiar cozy thing

it smelled faintly of Vicks
and held a bedraggled dandelion 
in its pocket

and I felt my spirits lift, a bit 

note:  published:  Verse Afire (Ontario Poetry Society) Jan.-Apr. 2014 Edition.

photo:  Cardigan Sweater – W. Bourke

© 2013 Wendy Bourke


2 comments:

  1. My spirits were lifted here by your poem: you had me in the first stanza! Vivid and relatable - though the clothes are piled up higher on my chairs, lol.

    These may be my fav. lines:
    in a histrionic tizzy of a heap –
    a green woolly diva in meltdown


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. I suppose your clothes do say something about you - on or off of you. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete