Thursday 13 June 2013

Old Love

It seemed to me,
the people next door
both spoke
fluent silence
(at least to each other).

So when she died
(and I carried flowers to him)
I was surprised, when he hugged me
in watery blue
(his tired eyes, as wan
as smoke on a lake)

and sobbed and said:  I loved her so.

And I realized, then,
that I do not know
everything there is to know
about old love . . .

and I do not know
everything there is to know
about silence. 

note:  The name "hydrangea" comes from the Greek word - meaning vessel, as they need a lot of water.  In general, the hydrangea symbolizes friendship, devotion,, and understanding.  A gift of hydrangeas connotes that a feeling (sympathy, congratulations, etc.) is sincerely heartfelt.

photo:  Blue Hydrangea Day - W. Bourke 

© 2013 Wendy Bourke

1 comment:

  1. This brought a bit of watery blue to me.

    A good word's work.

    ReplyDelete