Sunday 16 February 2014

Guest Speaker

HEAD DOODLING BACK

 
The speaker - unaccustomed
to such oratory feats -
cleared his throat, a bit too loudly,
while he fumbled through his sheets.

The crowd sensed, early on,
that they were in for a rough ride -
when he called the "ladies" "laddies"
and knocked the podium off side.


It teetered like a clanging gong upon
the discombobulated stage;
and when he tried to set it right
off flew, his last speech page. 


Soaring high atop the group -
a dizzy, darting, dazed white dove -
elusively zig-zagging,
landing on the light above.

But still the speaker moiled on -
and on - with his tall task.
He had come to speak and speak, he did.
What more could people ask?

It's true:  he rambled on somewhat
and forgot where he was going.

But, by then, he had them all on board
without his even knowing.

They agonized each coming word
and prayed that that man knew it.
The only thing that mattered now:
just let the guy get through it. 


Every jaw was clenched with dread.
Hands gripped in fists that pleaded.
Perspiration ran like rivers
as they willed the words he needed.

And, when at last, he'd "Um'ed" his last -
and the speech ground to an ending;
they applauded with great gratitude.
- And no one was pretending.


photos:  Lecture Room (Hotel Vancouver) and Applause (sketch by W.B.) - W. Bourke 

© 2012 Wendy Bourke

8 comments:

  1. Haha! Love it! And you kept that rhyme thing going ... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the rhyme thing. Thanks for commenting, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Brilliant work. I could see this as a book...with the fumbling speaker in illustration. Wonderful rhyme scheme too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jennifer. It's great to see people enjoying my rhymes. I find that writing a rhyming piece transports me to a happy place - even when I don't feel much like going there. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very entertaining! Yes, you do have a way with rhymes. They feel natural, not labored or contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel a bit bad for the guy....
    and hope someone tells him...
    ha, enjoyed the play of the rhymes
    in this as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Brian. I find the rhyming rather additive - in a non-toxic way, of course. I put together a poem like this one and six or seven poems later - I'm still rhyming. I literally have to will myself to cut in out . . . (eagle scout . . . speckled trout . . . brussel sprout) - well, you get my drift . . . (jonathan swift . . . graveyard shift . . . . . . . . . ) ah-h-h-h me.

    ReplyDelete