Tuesday 10 June 2014

untitled villanelle


One of the wonderful things about posting poems in the blogosphere, is that I get to read, enjoy and be educated by other blog poets and become enlightened and charmed by their love of various poetic forms:  sonnets, haikus, tankas, rondeaus, villanelles and so on and so on. . .  It has been a joy of discovery for me, and so, here I go – humbly – offering up my first attempt at a villanelle.
  
transcendent, as a leaf upon a breeze
surrendering to breath on which it sails
in grips of wind gusts, free - but yet, not free

far flung from stands of great cathedral trees
rustling sighs, resplendent in green veils
transcendent, as a leaf upon a breeze

abiding, as the earth and skies and seas
through raging blows and blasts of storms and gales
in grips of wind gusts, free - but yet, not free

the certainty, that what will be: will be
and in that truth the universe prevails
transcendent, as a leaf upon a breeze

and in that truth there is serenity
in heaven clouds, or earthly spirit trails
in grips of wind gusts, free - but yet, not free

peace – in the perfect calm simplicity,
the letting go of useless, vain travails –
transcendent, as a leaf upon a breeze
in grips of wind gusts, free – but yet, not free

note: posted on the Society of Classical Poets website, 2017 and published in Encompass V (Beret Day Press), 2016.

The prompt from Poetry Jam this week is Lost and Found.  I believe, many things that often seem lost, come back to us on a metaphysical or spiritual level and I have attempted to capture that here.
   
photo:  Tall Tree - Still Growing – W. Bourke 

© 2014 Wendy Bourke

25 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem and you have done so well with the form. I had tried villanelle sometimes back and I very much like this form.Great going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vandana! You've settled my nervous angst down, considerably. Smiles.

      Delete
  2. I love that feeling of letting go and experiencing the freeing wind, this is complex and mesmerizing, a perfect picture of life and love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have written a beautiful poem, Wendy. Great use of the form in expressing closeness to nature as a means to let go and enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with your first villanelle, Wendy. I find the repetition of "free--but yet not free" really strengthens your message. I enjoyed the idea of letting go of useless travails and just knowing that what will be will be is a way of finding peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice...i have never tried a villanelle though i have read quite a few of them...and you did very well esp for the first time...and i think that your message comes through as well without the need to address it directly, which i find very cool....sometimes we have to let go as well to find our way back...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poem is beautifully written :) And this form of poetry is something I hadn't heard of before! Would love to try it once :)

    Swathi's Lost and Found Poem

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to try this form Wendy! It is beautiful! I've not just yet but may be later. And to relate it to nature is a beautiful thing, to let go a little and benefit in the process! Great!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your villanelle is executed to perfection and I love the imagery in it - the wind gusts, the "great cathedral trees" - "and in that truth the universe prevails"......a wonderful write, full of wisdom, it lifts the heart to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive--this is not an easy form!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the fourth stanza becomes the fulcrum of the whole poem revealing the great truth of certainty of the uncertain future and how the universe knows the mantra of existence.....
    i love the leaf metaphor...this one's a perfect vilanelle Wendy...great lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done well on this one, Wendy! Having lost my dad this past week, this poem hit me as every special ... the form is complex (to me), but the image of the leaf being carried away on a breeze ... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this type. Have done a couple, and they are fun to get flowing! This is lovely. Too many lines to love here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have really mastered this form. Well done ! You have made me feel very lazy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great poem.. Villanelles are so much fun, and so tricky.. you managed so well in those repeated lines not sounding repetitive... and I have written a few... the subject chosen is so well done too.. and it can almost be a response to Dylan Thomas (do not go gentle into that good night).. a gentler response than his rage..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Bjorn, it was your villanelles (light as air and yet, loaded) that inspired me to try my hand at one. If I recall, correctly, I mentioned on your blog, some time back (quite awhile back, in blog-time) I had begun my attempt . . . and it has taken me this long, EEECH (an eternity in blog-time) - but, as you say - so much fun. Thank you for that gift!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes I remember that comment.. I think the form lend itself to laying puzzles..

      Delete
  15. Deep and beautiful, Wendy. And just your first attempt?
    You're making me want to explore this form.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi and thanks to all. I seem to be experiencing tech troubles - out of nowhere - but will get back on board, as soon as possible. Again, thank you for the thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back up and running. Apparently, I accidentally locked my mouse pad. Ha!

      Delete
  17. and in that truth there is serenity........so true and loved this line.
    I have never tried Villanelle but would love to explore this form of verse.
    This is a beauutiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One has to let go to find oneself...very nice Villanelle..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the lyricism and tranquility of your poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Wendy--stellar work! The second and third tercets are especially gorgeous to me. So cool you gave this form a go! And I agree with your sentiments on what one can gain here in the world of poetry blogging, it is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah .... one of my favorite poetic forms ... you've done beautifully! One would never guess that this is a first effort. Brava!

    ReplyDelete