Monday 5 August 2013

In lake breezes


I must have spent a lot of time
breathing in lake scent on breezes
fluttering in blades of grass

– before I grew old –

for the fragrance always
awakens the ghosts:
of those I loved.

People who have passed,
I find, 
more than the living, come to mind . . .

in lake breezes;

as though it’s kind of up to me
to summon forth their memory,
in wafts of beach
enfolded by shushing waves.

Though I often slip from my tender reflections,
a bit wistful and slightly curious;

left to wonder:  how will I come to my dearly beloveds

. . . and if I will come at all. 

Photo:  Lake Breezes – W. Bourke

© 2013 Wendy Bourke

4 comments:

  1. Lakeside is indeed a place that conjures much introspection. There is both serenity and mystery there, and here, in your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Ontario and it is known as the "Land of a Thousand Lakes" - the Great Lakes, of course, but, also, one sixth of its terrain is covered by rivers and lakes. Where I live now, on the West Coast, people have a very deep visceral connection to the ocean - and I truly get that. I think that the spiritual introspection we have with certain bodies of water begins in childhood and memories of time spent with beloved people there. Thanks for your thoughtful comment, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this:

    for the fragrance always
    awakens the ghosts:
    of those I loved

    Captivating poem - with a surprising ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Janet. The ending came as a bit of a surprise to me, too.

    ReplyDelete