Tuesday 13 January 2015

ramble in the blue realm


at first, the snowflakes fell – so light –
such random silver specks, in the blue realm,

we really couldn’t be entirely sure, that it was snowing at all
. . . or . . . if it was our breath:  hung, in the air, in frosty spittle commas,

that hooked upon brisk, flicks of breezes . . . and punctuated
the long winded road ramble.

but then, as the approaching dusk began to nail down
the spaces between the sentinel trees,
that guarded the dark forest, beyond the path . . .

the gossamer faint fall of flecks suddenly
escalated in an impassioned fervor of windblown bluster and fuss,

so that, we both were wildly impressed, and exhilarated,
by the histrionic billow and manic swirl
of white powder and sparkle dust,
that came – almost – out of nowhere.

until . . . the same thought flashed between us, that:
we had, in fact, dawdled since midday, aimlessly
traipsing the twisting trail . . . and so . . .

shrewdly, and with less than laid-back haste:  took off,
like two shots, through the squall in the direction of the cabin
– laughing with giddy gusto – when, at last, we came within sight of the door

. . . for, peril is invigorating . . . . . . . . . . . . when sanctuary is near. 

photo:  Winding Road – W. Bourke

© 2015 Wendy Bourke  

11 comments:

  1. I think this is so nice. To become so fascinated with the marvel of nature so you forget the time an place, the future and the past. Just observing and being in the midst of now.. still at the end an adventure of sorts.. a peril close to sanctuary as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like a nice, lovely walk in the lap of nature:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this for its strong descriptive language ... particularly the lines describing approaching dusk ... what a glorious walk into the woods ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I "experienced" this poem, thanks to your deft writing skills. What fun this was to read--put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true and was a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a wonderfully written poem about the delicacy of the silence before the storm. It is true that this northern weather tends to whip up out of nowhere in such a hustling haste. I really enjoyed reading this. It was like delving into a miniature adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. smiles...we got our first real snow last night...i have been waiting and i was rather giddy myself...fun poem...and your truth in the end is so right...but its hard not to dawdle in the magic that is a snow storm....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It actually sounds like quite a nice hike. I have never enjoyed winter hikes though...smile. Too cold. Ah, peril being invigorating when sanctuary is near...I can understand that. Peril gets one's adrenalin rolling, it seems. And one feels SO good when one reaches sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the contrasts between the first part and the last part. I feel like I there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was there with you, Wendy. I like to watch the snow drop, flake by flake, but would probably rush to a warm place too if I realized I might be trapped in a dangerous storm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the wisdom of the last line ~ I too have marvelled at the beauty of the snowfall, its billows & swirls of sparkle dust ~ Lovely writing Wendy ~

    ReplyDelete