Wednesday 28 May 2014

the golden time

HEAD DOODLING  BACK

after the decades long
whirlwind
lapsed into flutters - then sputters -
then stopped

the stillness prickled anxiously
for a long time
waiting for the inevitable
loud noise to startle the signal
that chaos awaits

but it never came

days no longer soared and plunged
to roller coaster roars and screams

children's honey voices
ceased somersaulting through the air
with campfire songs and squeals and dares

the endless questions
ended

and all the little treasures and drawings and books
were neatly put away

even the beaches weren't as golden

and then,
the grandchildren came 

photo:  Falls or Bust - W. Bourke

© 2012 Wendy Bourke 

4 comments:

  1. ah, at least we get the chance again with the grands,
    i dont look forward to when my kids leave
    my world will be so quiet....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I think maybe many a grandparent has felt the same. I look forward to that day, when it comes for me. Love that photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. days no longer soared and plunged
    to roller coaster roars and screams

    … and then, the grandchildren came

    Well, I unfortunately had no children, but I believe I can imagine this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and how that chaotic times seemed a pain when it was - now a golden time.

    ReplyDelete